Building Services Engineering Apprentice
- Company: AWE
- Location: Aldermaston
- Closing Date: 22-02-2024
What if you could work with remarkable people on extraordinary things? What if the end result was something a little bit special? What if your role was mission critical?
For nearly 70 years, AWE has been at the forefront of nuclear weapons research and development. They have a critical mission: to provide the warheads for the UK’s ultimate deterrent – Trident. AWE also use their unique skills to provide wider UK government with counter-terrorism and nuclear threat reduction solutions.
It takes a special sort of person to work at AWE. What if that person was you?
As a Building Services Engineer degree apprentice, first AWE will teach you the fundamental scientific principles that support mechanical and electrical building services. Following this, you’ll explore in more depth how to operate and control heating, ventilation, and air conditioning. In the final year, we’ll focus on sustainability: the dynamic thermal performance of buildings, energy resources, combined heat and power, wind power generation and lighting and electrical systems.
AWE set lots of design projects to simulate a working environment and you can expect to use computer modelling techniques to optimise and refine your design proposals, as well as laboratory/workshop experiments.
Following completion of your placements and subject to the business need and your career aspirations, your final role placement will be selected, and you will complete your training as a professional engineer in this area.
As a Building Services Engineering degree apprentice, you will work towards a BEng (Hons) in Building Services Engineering. The programme includes:
• Part time day release: Apprentices attend university once a week
• Formal lectures, study guides, course notes, directed reading, class tutorials, assignments, small group projects, workshops and laboratories.
• Assessment of the academic element of this apprenticeship will consist of coursework, exams and timed assessments.
• Employer focused contextual content
• Practical engineering workshop practice and skills
This role may appeal to you if you enjoy:
• Understanding how things work and improving them
• Solving problems in different ways
• Working with Control Systems (Coding Raspberry PI/Arduino, hacking consumer electronics, small audio electronic projects etc.)
• Working with Mechanical Assemblies (Car/bike/clock maintenance, restoration, and modification etc.)
• Working with Electrical Systems (Home electrical maintenance, changing sockets/light fittings, vehicle electrical systems)
• Interest in learning / improving practical applications
• Applying engineering principles into real life scenarios
Level 6 entry requirements:
• Age: Applicants must be aged 18 or over, as of 31th August 2024 due to security clearance requirements
• A Level BBC or; BTEC National Diploma DDM or; Access to Engineering qualifications with 15 Distinctions and 30 Merits including Maths and Physical Science credit or; Equivalent level 3 qualifications worth 128 UCAS points. Level 3 qualifications must include Maths and Physics. Applicants must hold 5 GCSEs A-C including Maths and English or equivalent (reformed GCSEs grade 4 or above).
• Good communication skills (i.e. technical speaking, active listening, professional writing, professional body language and technical presentation)
• Reliability with a high level of respect for confidentiality on work-related and personal matters
• Ability to work autonomously and interact effectively within a wide, multi-disciplinary project team
• Ability to understand the impact of work on others, especially where related to diversity and equality
• Good time management skills (i.e. planning and completing work to schedule)
• A supportive attitude to change and ability to respond positively to change management processes
• Ownership for personal development
• Open attitude towards receiving feedback
• Committed to health & safety (i.e. personal, workplace, radiological and nuclear)
• Effective at following rules, procedures and principles
• Enthusiasm and motivation for the nuclear industry
• PC literate
• Excellent team working skills
• Ability to concentrate for long periods
What AWE offer:
• AWE offer apprentices a starting salary of £20,000. This increases annually with second year salary being £22,500
• A market leading contributory pension scheme
• Generous holiday entitlement (270 hours per year) and excellent work/life balance including a 9-day working fortnight. This means that every other Friday you won’t be required to work!
• Employee Assistance Programme and Occupational Health Services
• Access to employee discounts portal – for everyday savings on retail, hospitality and leisure
Please note that you must be a British National to apply for a role with AWE.
AWE recruit on a rolling basis which means as soon as their positions have been filled, they close their applications.