(Chemistry) Laboratory Technician Apprentice
- Company: AWE
- Location: Aldermaston
- Closing Date: 01-02-2024
What if you could work with remarkable people on extraordinary things? What if the end result was something a little bit special? What if your role was mission critical?
For nearly 70 years, AWE has been at the forefront of nuclear weapons research and development. They have a critical mission: to provide the warheads for the UK’s ultimate deterrent – Trident. AWE also use their unique skills to provide wider UK government with counter-terrorism and nuclear threat reduction solutions.
It takes a special sort of person to work at AWE. What if that person was you?
As a Materials and Analytical Science Laboratory Technician Apprentice, you will spend the first few weeks of your apprenticeship within the Skills Academy; before joining the Materials and Analytical Sciences team based in AWE’s laboratories across the Aldermaston site. The Materials and Analytical Sciences function are responsible for the research, testing and analysis of a number of different materials ranging from warhead components to environmental samples. This work is vital in assuring AWE’s mission to deliver the warhead is accomplished whilst keeping our people and environment safe.
During the time in placements you will undertake and complete various laboratory-based tasks which will enable you to develop a complete set of skills and knowledge required to work successfully at AWE.
During your apprenticeship journey, you will learn the following skills:
• Laboratory safety
• Handling of hazardous substances- awareness of radioactive and explosive materials
• Quality and its application in a laboratory environment
• Customer service skills
• Use of laboratory equipment
• Preparation of substances
• Sample preparation
• Analysis of samples
• Data handling
• Checking and reporting of results
In addition, you will also be given the opportunity for personal development through activities such as team building challenges, organisational awareness presentations, health and safety workshops and charity projects.
A part of this role will require wearing Health and Safety equipment such as a respirator. Therefore, successful candidates will need to undergo a medical assessment for suitability for the position within the required parameters for the health and safety equipment’s requirements.
• Excellent team working skills
• Good communication skills
• Awareness of health and safety
• The ability to follow instructions
• The ability to concentrate for long periods
• A real passion for this type of work
• Must be age 18 or above as of 31th August 2024 for Security Clearance requirements for the role.
• 5 GCSE’s at grade 4/C or above to include Maths and English and BTEC Level 3 Science (or equivalent)
Please note that you must be a British National to apply for a role with AWE.
AWE recruit on a rolling basis which means as soon as their positions have been filled, they close their applications.