Control and Instrumentation Apprenticeship: Technical Author
- Company: AWE
- Location: Aldermaston
- Closing Date: 31-03-2023
C&I is one of only two ‘critical trades’ at AWE and is vital to the successful delivery of our programme of work. Put simply, C&I Engineers enable a wide range of different automated processes to run. To help you understand the technology you will be writing about and to give you the skills and expertise to become a specialist author, you will spend three years studying Control and Instrumentation (C&I).
Technical Authors are the specialists who generate written instructions on how to perform all kinds of technical tasks in a safe, controlled way. It’s a skill that is in demand across a wide range of industries ranging from car assembly, aircraft maintenance to telecommunications. At AWE the role of Technical Author involves producing documentation that explains how to safely build, support and service the UK’s nuclear deterrent.
As an apprentice you will initially be based within the Skills Academy you will develop a basic knowledge of C&I and learn the associated skills. You will further your knowledge through academic studies on day release at college. Thereafter you will progress to the manufacturing aspect of your training where you will start to apply these core skills in a live working environment. This will include servicing, repairing and installing various systems to support our facilities: temperature control, flow and pressure measurement, display gauges and recorders. Once you have completed three years studying C&I and become a qualified maintenance engineer you will start to build your skills as a Technical Author.
• Two A Levels at grade C/4 or above. One subject in English or Mathematics (or equivalent)
• A practical aptitude for engineering or technology
• Age: Applicants must be aged 16 or over, as of 1st of September 2023, due to security clearance requirements.
What we offer:
• We offer our apprentices a starting salary of £11,000. This increases annually with second year salary being £18,300.
• A market leading contributory pension scheme
• Generous holiday entitlement and excellent work/life balance including a 9-day working fortnight. This means that every other Friday you won’t be required to work!
Candidates must be willing and able to obtain and maintain the necessary security clearance for the role and be willing and able to work in designated areas – if applicable.