Control and Instrumentation – Maintenance Apprentice
- Company: AWE
- Location: Aldermaston
- Closing Date: 03-03-2024
What if you could work with remarkable people on extraordinary things? What if the end result was something a little bit special? What if your role was mission critical?
For nearly 70 years, AWE has been at the forefront of nuclear weapons research and development. They have a critical mission: to provide the warheads for the UK’s ultimate deterrent – Trident. AWE also use their unique skills to provide wider UK government with counter-terrorism and nuclear threat reduction solutions.
It takes a special sort of person to work at AWE. What if that person was you?
C&I is one of only two ‘critical trades’ at AWE and is vital to the successful delivery of their programme of work. Put simply, C&I Engineers enable a wide range of different automated processes to run. To help you understand the technology you will be writing about and to give you the skills and expertise to become a specialist author, you will spend three years studying Control and Instrumentation (C&I).
C&I engineers create, simplify and automate processes. They deal with systems that measure and control all kinds of things – from the flow of water, to the temperature of a furnace. Their goal is to make sure complex processes can take place at the simple press of a button. In C&I, we maintain, install and develop equipment used to control a variety of processes within AWE’s production environment. That means everything from air handling units which keep clean air flowing safely through different working environments, through to programmable logic controllers which use advanced IT to control a variety of systems.
C&I Maintenance may appeal to you if you enjoy:
• Understanding how to control engineering systems and equipment
• Understanding how Building Management Systems work
• Understanding how safety systems work
• Being hands on
• Applying engineering principles into real life scenarios
You’ll need to demonstrate:
• A practical aptitude for engineering or technology
• Computer literacy (PC)
• Excellent team working skills
• Good communication skills
• Awareness of health and safety
• The ability to follow instructions
• The ability to concentrate for long periods
• A passion and motivation for this profession
• Preferably GCSE in Maths and English at Grade 4/C or above (or equivalent)
• 5 GCSE’s grade 4/c or above
• Age: Applicants must be aged 16 or over, as of 12th August 2024, due to security clearance requirements
What AWE offer:
• AWE offer apprentices a starting salary of £16,000. This increases annually with second year salary being £20,500
• A market leading contributory pension scheme
• Generous holiday entitlement and excellent work/life balance including a 9-day working fortnight. This means that every other Friday you won’t be required to work!
Please note that you must be a British National to apply for a role with AWE.
AWE recruit on a rolling basis which means as soon as their positions have been filled, they close their applications.