Design and Construction Management Apprentice
- Company: AWE
- Location: Aldermaston
- Closing Date: 01-01-2024
What if you could work with remarkable people on extraordinary things? What if the end result was something a little bit special? What if your role was mission critical?
For nearly 70 years, AWE has been at the forefront of nuclear weapons research and development. They have a critical mission: to provide the warheads for the UK’s ultimate deterrent – Trident. AWE also use their unique skills to provide wider UK government with counter-terrorism and nuclear threat reduction solutions.
It takes a special sort of person to work at AWE. What if that person was you?
As a Design and Construction Management Degree Apprentice, you will learn design, technical and management skills, and how to apply scientific principles and practical knowledge in constructing buildings to meet building performance criteria. You will gain a sound understanding of advanced computer technology in 3D Computer Aided Design and visualisation. As well as knowledge in the production of design details, and of administering contracts and projects to fulfill client and current regulatory needs.
You will then undertake focused professional engineering placements involving industrial areas such as explosive processing buildings, infrastructure, utilities and nuclear installations. You will gain an appreciation of the additional challenges and safety requirements of providing engineering services in such an environment throughout the engineering lifecycle (Design, Construction, Commissioning, Operations).
Following completion of your placements and subject to the business need and your career aspirations, your final role placement will be selected, and you will complete your training as a professional engineer in this area.
This role may appeal to you if you enjoy:
• Building or making things
• Solving problems in different ways
• Interest in learning / improving practical applications
• Applying engineering principles into real life scenarios
Level 6 entry requirements:
• Must be age 18 or above as of 31th August 2024
• HNC in related subject with merit grade or; Level 4 Apprenticeship in relevant subject or equivalent level 4 qualification; Applicants must hold 5 GCSEs A-C including Maths and English or equivalent (reformed GCSEs grade 4 or above)
• Good communication skills (i.e. technical speaking, active listening, professional writing, professional body language and technical presentation)
• Reliability with a high level of respect for confidentiality on work related and personal matters
• Ability to work autonomously and interact effectively within a wide, multi-disciplinary project team
• Ability to understand the impact of work on others, especially where related to diversity and equality
• Good time management skills (i.e. planning and completing work to schedule)
• A supportive attitude to change and ability to respond positively to change management processes
• Ownership for personal development
• Open attitude towards receiving feedback
• Committed to health & safety (i.e. personal, workplace, radiological and nuclear)
• Effective at following rules, procedures and principles
• Enthusiasm for the nuclear industry
• PC literate
• Excellent team working skills
• Ability to concentrate for long periods
What AWE offer:
• AWE offer apprentices a starting salary of £20,000. This increases annually with second year salary being £22,500
• A market leading contributory pension scheme
• Generous holiday entitlement (270 hours per year) and excellent work/life balance including a 9-day working fortnight. This means that every other Friday you won’t be required to work!
• Employee Assistance Programme and Occupational Health Services
• Access to employee discounts portal – for everyday savings on retail, hospitality and leisure
Please note that you must be a British National to apply for a role with AWE.
AWE recruit on a rolling basis which means as soon as their positions have been filled, they close their applications.