Electronic Design Apprentice
- Company: AWE
- Location: Aldermaston
- Closing Date: 01-02-2024
What if you could work with remarkable people on extraordinary things? What if the end result was something a little bit special? What if your role was mission critical?
For nearly 70 years, AWE has been at the forefront of nuclear weapons research and development. They have a critical mission: to provide the warheads for the UK’s ultimate deterrent – Trident. AWE also use their unique skills to provide wider UK government with counter-terrorism and nuclear threat reduction solutions.
It takes a special sort of person to work at AWE. What if that person was you?
This apprenticeship follows the Embedded electronic systems design and development engineer (degree) standard and leads to roles designing and developing electronic circuits, devices, and systems.
As an electronic apprentice you will spend your first two years of training in the skills academy producing several electronic projects whilst also attending college part time. These projects will help you to develop your skills and knowledge in basic electronic theory, components, basic circuit design, circuit construction and reporting.
In your final 18 – 24 months you will spend your time on several 6-month placements around the business where you will also work towards your final project.
Throughout your apprenticeship you will attend several lectures designed to increase your knowledge and understanding of further electronic theory, these include:
• Component recognition
• Component characteristics
• Circuit calculations
• Semi-conductor theory
• Fault finding techniques
• Testing and measuring
This role may appeal to you if you are you interested in:
• Arduino or Raspberry PI
• Understanding how all things electronic work
• Designing and building electronic circuits
• Use of electronic test equipment for fault finding, maintenance and repair of circuits & systems
• Analogue and Digital electronics
You’ll need to demonstrate:
• A practical aptitude for engineering or technology
• Computer literacy (PC)
• Excellent team working skills
• Good communication skills
• Awareness of health and safety
• The ability to follow instructions
• A passion and motivation for this profession
• 3 A levels @ grade C or above inc. Maths or Science or BTEC diploma in Engineering.
• Age: Applicants must be aged 18 or over, as of 31th August 2024, due to security clearance requirements
What AWE offer:
• AWE offer apprentices a starting salary of £20,000. This increases annually with second year salary being £22,500
• A market leading contributory pension scheme
• Generous holiday entitlement and excellent work/life balance including a 9-day working fortnight. This means that every other Friday you won’t be required to work!
Please note that you must be a British National to apply for a role with AWE.
AWE recruit on a rolling basis which means as soon as their positions have been filled, they close their applications.