Human Resources (HR) Apprentice
- Company: AWE
- Location: Aldermaston
- Closing Date: 13-12-2023
What if you could work with remarkable people on extraordinary things? What if the end result was something a little bit special? What if your role was mission critical?
For nearly 70 years, AWE has been at the forefront of nuclear weapons research and development. They have a critical mission: to provide the warheads for the UK’s ultimate deterrent – Trident. AWE also use their unique skills to provide wider UK government with counter-terrorism and nuclear threat reduction solutions.
It takes a special sort of person to work at AWE. What if that person was you?
People are at the heart of AWE, Human Resources (HR) is a function in AWE, that directly provides services and support to the Workforce, that enable people carry out their jobs effectively and make the most of their time at AWE.
On the HR Apprenticeship, you will gain skills and knowledge in several areas of the HR Function, by attending placements including:
• Case management (investigations, disciplinaries absence management)
• Reward and Recognition (Governance of reward processes, recognition of staff achievements)
• Recruitment (supporting the internal and external recruitment of AWE)
• Resourcing (supporting AWE working with Contingency workers and the process involved)
• Business Partners (working with the business at a tactical and strategic level)
• Learning and Development (supporting the learning and development of AWE employees)
• HR Help Desk (dealing with general queries, forwarding onto appropriate depts)
As an apprentice you will attend various sessions to support your integration into the business, as well as starting placements on your apprenticeship journey, where you will develop your basic knowledge and core skills in a live working environment. You will see how we work closely with the business to create the strategies that find and retain the best people and develop the skills our business needs. You can expect to be doing a variety of activities such as inputting data, liaising with employees and managers by phone & email, attending meetings, updating documents, research to solve business problems and supporting the case management team with administration duties.
In addition to the vocational aspects of your training, AWE will further your knowledge of HR through coaching and hands on tasks to support you as you work towards your HR Apprenticeship. You will also attend college to learn the theory side and be able to put your skills into practice in the workplace.
The HR Apprenticeship may appeal to you if you enjoy:
• Working as part of a large team to support a common goal
• Helping others
• Working in an office environment
• Planning and being organised
• Understand how the business operates from an HR perspective
Level 3 entry requirements:
• Age: Applicants must be aged 18 or over, as of 31th August 2024 due to security clearance requirements
• 5 GCSE’s at grade 4/C or above to include Maths and English
• PC literate
• Good communication skills
• Excellent team working skills
• Health and safety aware
• Effective at following instructions
• Ability to concentrate for long periods
• Passion for your chosen profession (see comparable skills/interests)
What AWE offer:
• AWE offer apprentices a starting salary of £16,000. This increases annually with second year salary being £20,500
• A market leading contributory pension scheme
• Generous holiday entitlement and excellent work/life balance including a 9-day working fortnight. This means that every other Friday you won’t be required to work!
Please note that you must be a British National to apply for a role with AWE.
AWE recruit on a rolling basis which means as soon as their positions have been filled, they close their applications.