Mechanical & Electrical Technician Apprentice, Maintenance & Operations Engineering
- Company: Canal & River Trust
- Location: Multiple locations
- Closing Date: 01-07-2022
We are the charity who look after and bring to life 2,000 miles of waterways across England and Wales, because we believe that life is better by water. It takes an extraordinary team to bring our waterways to life and that’s where you come in.
About the Apprenticeship
As a Trust apprentice, you will complete your apprenticeship training both on and off-the-job, including regular attendance at our chosen training provider. All college related travel costs are paid for by the Trust.
About the role
You will be assisting the local M&E team with the delivery of maintenance and repair works to mechanical & electrical structures, plant and equipment to protect and enhance the reputation of the network as a valued national asset. This will include carrying out reactive repairs, planned preventative maintenance, general works programme, and projects, including working on a wide range of assets such as bridges, locks, pump stations & construction sites.
What skills and abilities do I need to have?
- You should have an interest in fixing rather than throwing away and be someone who is not scared to take things apart and figure out how it works, with a view of putting it back together again (working where possible!).
- Experience of using hand tools ranging from spanners and sockets, to drills and power tools is desirable (but don’t worry if you don’t have this!).
- An understanding of basic electrical and mechanical principles taught at GCSE Physics would be advantageous, for example: electromagnets, current flow, ohms law, mechanisms, force, mass etc. (Again, don’t worry if you aren’t super familiar with this).
What qualifications do I need to have?
Ideally grade A-C or grade 9-4 in Maths, English and Science GCSE (or equivalent) already achieved or on target to achieve.
What qualifications or experience would potentially help me more?
- An interest or connection to the waterways network.
- Grade A-C (or equivalent) in Physics would demonstrate a basic understanding of electrical and mechanical principles.
- Any other Mechanical and/or Electrical Experience, potentially through hobbies, work experience or volunteering.
- Mill Lane, Newark, NG24 4TT
- Sharpness Docks, GL13 9UE
- Kirk Bramwith, Doncaster, DN7 5SW
Advertised Salary: £18,348