Nuclear Engineering Degree Apprenticeship: Electrical
- Company: AWE
- Location: Aldermaston
- Closing Date: 31-10-2022
As a nuclear engineer apprentice, you will learn the basics of hand-tools, machining, electrical theory, circuits, instruments, and control logic, before learning how to specify, troubleshoot and maintain various pieces of industrial equipment, such as nuclear vent and containment systems through lectures and practical workshop projects. You will then undertake focused professional engineering placements in industrial nuclear buildings across the business to gain an appreciation of the additional challenges and safety requirements of providing engineering services in such an environment throughout the engineering lifecycle (Design, Construction, Commissioning, Operations, Utilities).
Following completion of your placements and subject to the business need and your career aspirations, your final role placement will be selected, and you will complete your training as a professional engineer in this area. As a Nuclear degree apprentice, you will work towards BEng in Nuclear Engineering with specialist units, or BSc in Nuclear Science.
Level 6 entry requirements:
• Age: Applicants must be aged 18 or over, as of 1st of September 2023, due to security clearance requirements
• Typically grade C/4 or above in at least five GCSE’s including English, Math’s and a Science subject
• Typically, candidates will hold a minimum of 102 UCAS points or existing relevant Level 3 qualifications
• Good communication skills (i.e. technical speaking, active listening, professional writing, professional body language and technical presentation)
What we offer:
• We offer our apprentices a starting salary of £13,500. This increases annually with second year salary being £18,500
• A market leading contributory pension scheme
• Generous holiday entitlement and excellent work/life balance including a 9-day working fortnight. This means that every other Friday you won’t be required to work!
Candidates must be willing and able to obtain and maintain the necessary security clearance for the role and be willing and able to work in designated areas – if applicable.