Nuclear Engineering – Mechanical Apprentice
- Company: AWE
- Location: Aldermaston
- Closing Date: 21-01-2024
What if you could work with remarkable people on extraordinary things? What if the end result was something a little bit special? What if your role was mission critical?
For nearly 70 years, AWE has been at the forefront of nuclear weapons research and development. They have a critical mission: to provide the warheads for the UK’s ultimate deterrent – Trident. AWE also use their unique skills to provide wider UK government with counter-terrorism and nuclear threat reduction solutions.
It takes a special sort of person to work at AWE. What if that person was you?
As a nuclear engineer apprentice, you will learn the basics of hand tools, machining, electrical theory, circuits, instruments, and control logic, before learning how to specify, troubleshoot and maintain various pieces of industrial equipment, such as nuclear vent and containment systems, through lectures and practical workshop projects.
You will then undertake focused professional engineering placements in industrial nuclear buildings across the business to gain an appreciation of the additional challenges and safety requirements of providing engineering services in such an environment throughout the engineering lifecycle (Design, Construction, Commissioning, Operations, Utilities). Following completion of your placements and subject to the business need and your career aspirations, your final role placement will be selected, and you will complete your training as a professional engineer in this area.
As a Nuclear degree apprentice, you will complete the following:
• BEng in Nuclear Engineering with specialist units, or BSc in Nuclear Science
• 12 x 5-week block delivery with residential facilities (flexible to employer requirements)
• Inquiry-led constructive learning and technology-based assessment
• Nuclear behavioural culture, safety, and security
• Employer focused contextual content
• Practical engineering workshop practice and skills
This role may appeal to you if you enjoy:
• Understanding how things work and improving them
• Solving problems in different ways
• Working with Control Systems (Coding Raspberry PI/Arduino, hacking consumer electronics, small audio electronic projects etc.)
• Working with Mechanical Assemblies (Car/bike/clock maintenance, restoration, and modification etc.)
• Working with Electrical Systems (Home electrical maintenance, changing sockets/light fittings, vehicle electrical systems)
• Working with Electromechanical Systems
• Interest in learning / improving practical applications
• Applying engineering principles into real life scenarios
• Thermo & fluid dynamics
Level 6 entry requirements:
• Age: Applicants must be aged 18 or over, as of 31th August 2024, due to security clearance requirements
• 3 A levels grade C or above inc. Maths. Or level 3 equivalent qualification. (Minimum of 102 UCAS points OR existing level 3 qualification – equivalent to an A level)
• Good communication skills (i.e. technical speaking, active listening, professional writing, professional body language and technical presentation)
• Reliability with a high level of respect for confidentiality on work related and personal matters
• Ability to work autonomously and interact effectively within a wide, multi-disciplinary project team
• Ability to understand the impact of work on others, especially where related to diversity and equality
• Good time management skills (i.e. planning and completing work to schedule)
• A supportive attitude to change and ability to respond positively to change management processes
• Ownership for personal development
• Open attitude towards receiving feedback
• Committed to health & safety (i.e. personal, workplace, radiological and nuclear)
• Effective at following rules, procedures and principles
• Enthusiasm and motivation for the nuclear industry
• PC literate
• Excellent team working skills
• Ability to concentrate for long periods
What AWE offer:
• AWE offer apprentices a starting salary of £20,000. This increases annually with second year salary being £22,500
• A market leading contributory pension scheme
• Generous holiday entitlement and excellent work/life balance including a 9-day working fortnight. This means that every other Friday you won’t be required to work!
Please note that you must be a British National to apply for a role with AWE.
AWE recruit on a rolling basis which means as soon as their positions have been filled, they close their applications.