Project Controls Apprentice
- Company: AWE
- Location: Aldermaston
- Closing Date: 01-02-2024
What if you could work with remarkable people on extraordinary things? What if the end result was something a little bit special? What if your role was mission critical?
For nearly 70 years, AWE has been at the forefront of nuclear weapons research and development. They have a critical mission: to provide the warheads for the UK’s ultimate deterrent – Trident. AWE also use their unique skills to provide wider UK government with counter-terrorism and nuclear threat reduction solutions.
It takes a special sort of person to work at AWE. What if that person was you?
As a Project Controls Apprentice at AWE your role will include supporting the four key areas of business management- Cost Engineering, Planning, Estimating, Project Controls whilst rotating through various programmes around the business, you will gain an understanding of:
• Projects Structures – WBS, CBS, OBS
• Schedule Development – Schedule Quality, Cost and Duration estimating, interactive planning sessions
• Baseline Management – Creating and Maintaining Baselines
• Performance Measurement and Analysis
• Business Rhythm – Month End Reporting and Analysis
• Cost Forecasting
• Variance Analysis
As an apprentice you will initially be based within the Skills Academy, where you will develop your basic knowledge and core skills, before progressing on to the onsite aspect of your training. At this point you will start to apply and further develop these core skills in a live working environment. In addition to the vocational aspects of your training, AWE will further your knowledge of project controls through academic studies as your work towards the completion of your certificate.
Project Controls may appeal to you if you enjoy:
• Problem solving activities
• Working as part of a team
• Analysing data
• Logical Thinking
• 2 A Levels (preffered not mandatory)
• 5 GCSE’s at grade 4/C or above to include Maths and English
• PC literate
• Good communication skills
• Excellent team working skills
• Health and safety aware
• Effective at following instructions
• Ability to concentrate for long periods
• Passion for your chosen profession (see comparable skills/interests)
• Age: Applicants must be aged 18 or over, as of 31th August 2024 due to security clearance requirements
What AWE offer:
• AWE offer apprentices a starting salary of £16,000. This increases annually with second year salary being £20,500
• A market leading contributory pension scheme
• Generous holiday entitlement and excellent work/life balance including a 9-day working fortnight. This means that every other Friday you won’t be required to work!
Please note that you must be a British National to apply for a role with AWE.
AWE recruit on a rolling basis which means as soon as their positions have been filled, they close their applications.