Metrology Technician Apprentice
- Company: AWE
- Location: Reading
- Closing Date: 03-03-2024
What if you could work with remarkable people on extraordinary things? What if the end result was something a little bit special? What if your role was mission critical?
For nearly 70 years, AWE has been at the forefront of nuclear weapons research and development. They have a critical mission: to provide the warheads for the UK’s ultimate deterrent – Trident. AWE also use their unique skills to provide wider UK government with counter-terrorism and nuclear threat reduction solutions.
It takes a special sort of person to work at AWE. What if that person was you?
As a Level 3 Advanced Metrology Technician apprentice you are on the first step of a career pathway to Principal Quality Engineer at AWE. The apprenticeship is a 3-year course comprising of approximately 20% study and 80% workplace activity. Metrology is a vital skill to improve and verify the quality of products and components. It concerns all theoretical and practical aspects of measurement. You will apply the understanding of core measurement principles and practices to your role, which is, to interpret and practically apply these, within a production or trials environment. You will identify measurement needs, plan and perform measurement tasks using tools, equipment, instrumentation and software programmes.
The workplace activities will be a combination of placement in the Skills Academy and onsite rotation. You will develop your basic knowledge and core skills in the academy before progressing around AWE to apply your training. In addition to the vocational aspects of your training, you will further your knowledge of metrology through academic studies at the National Physical Laboratory (NPL). You will study the ‘Metrology Technician Level 3’ course and on it’s successful completion you will be eligible for professional registration as either Registered Engineering Technician (EngTech) or Registered Science Technician (RSciTech).
Becoming a Metrology Technician may appeal to you if you enjoy:
• Learning and applying your knowledge in the workplace
• Performing practical tasks by following procedures
• Being self-motivated and inquisitive.
• Taking an analytical / mathematical approach to problem solving
• Working with data; retrieving, analysing, interpreting, validating and recording
• Making a difference by checking product quality
• 4 GCSEs or equivalent (minimum accepted: English at Grade 4 (C), GCSE in Maths at Grade 5 (C/B), GCSE in relevant Science subject (Grade 5) and another GCSE Grade 4)
• 1 ‘A’ Level or equivalent Grade C or above
• An interest and ideally aptitude for engineering or technology
• Good IT skills
• Good communication skills
• Health and safety aware
• Effective at following instructions
• Ability to concentrate for long periods
• Age: Applicants must be aged 18 or over, as of 31th of August 2024, due to security clearance requirements
What AWE offer?
• AWE offer apprentices a starting salary of £16,000 This increases annually with second year salary being £20,500
• A market leading contributory pension scheme
• Generous holiday entitlement and excellent work/life balance including a 9-day working fortnight. This means that every other Friday you won’t be required to work!
Please note that you must be a British National to apply for a role with AWE.
AWE recruit on a rolling basis which means as soon as their positions have been filled, they close their applications.